Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Friday, June 19, 2009

In New York, it was considered very stylish: Hair after chemotherapy

K. Jensen writes:

Dear Diary,
I lost my hair during chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer. When it came back, it grew first on the top of my head and then later filled in on the sides.

In New York, my new crew cut was considered very stylish – for women. People would stop me on the street, compliment me and ask me where I had it done. When another cancer patient also asked me about my "new do," I tried to explain: "It's chemo."

"Kimo?" she said. "He does a great job. Where does he work? What's his number?"

Read another surprising story about chemotherapy’s effect on hair. Thanks to Ms. Jensen, whose diary entry appeared in the Metropolitan Diary in the New York Times of June 17.

No comments: