Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

I’m in remarkably good shape: A Parkinson’s patient advocate

Parkinson's disease hasn't robbed A.C. Cowan of his ability to enjoy life or fight for causes he's passionate about.

The 82-year-old spoke at a symposium this week to raise awareness about Parkinson's disease at LSU Health Sciences Center-Shreveport's. He spoke to an audience of patients, their families and caregivers, allied health and medical professionals and students

"For my age and the disease, I'm in remarkably in good shape," having lived with Parkinson’s for ten years, he said. "There's nothing I can't do for myself. I drive, eat well and I enjoy my life."

"Now in retirement, I have time to work with the Parkinson's group as an advocate. I've been to Washington, D.C., three times to try and pry money out of Congress" for Parkinson's disease research.

Advice to Parkinson's patients: Live like A.C. Cowan.

Read one of our Parkinson’s stories, or read more from the source article by Mary Jimenez.

No comments: