Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

My military psychiatrist advocated for me: Treatment of mental illness

Ann Breitengross' story:
The military needs to arrive at a consensus concerning proper mental health care for troops. When I received a diagnosis of a mental illness in 2003 prior to an impending deployment, my military psychiatrist advocated for me. Despite my suggesting an alternative assignment to honor the terms of my contract, he recommended a medical discharge, giving me the opportunity to recover and develop the coping skills necessary to live a successful life. Not all military officers are so empathic. Had I been forced to deploy at that time, I know the stresses of being in a war zone would have exacerbated my symptoms, compromising the mission or, worse yet, my own life.

Advice to soldiers:
Most people now know that tough soldiers can get mental illness without being crazy.


Read a story of a tough soldier who has overcome tough psychological issues.

Thanks to Ann for her letter to the editor of Time Magazine, published on June 30.

No comments: