Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

They don't count non-surgical towels: A surgical error

Steve's story

I was in the hospital for a totally unrelated issue when they found the tumor. The tumor was small, and it was supposed to be a simple surgery. The doctor left a one foot by 2 foot BLUE NON-SURGICAL TOWEL FOLDED UP UNDERNEATH MY KIDNEY. I had leucocytosis, and a MAJOR INFECTION. I was close to death. This towel was a towel that should never have even been placed inside of me. There was no way for the doctor to do an accurate count because they DON'T COUNT BLUE NON-SURGICAL TOWELS. The doctor lied to me about leaving the towel inside me. He wrote two different sets of post-op notes. He came in 8 hrs after the 2nd surgery and told me that a clip had obliterated the UPJ and that is why he removed my kidney. He did not mention a BLUE NON SURGICAL TOWEL until he was forced to tell me. He had no intention of telling me or my family until hospital administrators forced him to. He took a perfect kidney from me. I am in constant pain because I was cut open twice in less than 3 weeks. He told me I would have a full recovery and I could continue doing the things I normally do. HE LIED TO ME. What makes you think the doctor won't lie to you?

Advice to hospital VPs of Nursing:
Tell your O.R. nurses to routinely count all the towels placed in patients.

Read the full story by Leonard Ortiz, or read of another rare surgical error.

No comments: