Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Dad, my dog, and me: Testimony on legislation for patient engagement in decision-making

Chairman Sanchez, You asked that we speak from the heart. My three-minute testimony [June 14 at the Massachusetts Statehouse] is about my Dad, my dog, and me.


I'm Ken Farbstein, past President of Health Care for All’s Consumer Health Quality Council, and the author of Getting Your Best Health Care: Real-World Stories for Patient Empowerment. Thank you for this opportunity to support "An Act Promoting Patient Engagement in Health Care Decisions," H.1495/S.1078.


A surgeon once told me I should have Lasik eye surgery. When I probed to learn more, she said I'd probably still need to wear glasses afterward. I said No. Another time, an ENT surgeon said I should have sinus surgery. I looked into it carefully, and then I said No. Instead, both times, I shared in the decision-making by reading, and asking questions about the effectiveness and the alternatives and side-effects. Then I chose non-surgical alternatives that were less costly. If patients can share in the decision-making, we'll make better informed choices, and sometimes we'll decide against surgery – which could save money for the whole system.


This week I brought our dog to the vet, asking about a lump on his front left elbow. The surgical consult, and the two later phone discussions, were much more clear, specific, factual, and useful than those two surgical consults I'd had about my own surgical decisions. Our veterinarian provided written materials about the preparation for surgery, follow-up, and costs, none of which the human surgeons had provided.


In a very different realm, near the end of a person's life, a lot of people would choose hospice care, like we chose for my father, who was then in the final stages of Parkinson's Disease. He had seen his own mother's long and heart-breaking struggle with Alzheimers' Disease, and so he had written a living will, when he was age 63, still full of vim and vigor, to clearly lay out his wishes against death-prolonging treatment. That calm forethought was characteristic of the man he was. Hospice care was better for him, and for us, and it must have actually saved money for the taxpayers too.


When you go to buy a car, the dealer has to clearly display the mileage per gallon on a window sticker. When you buy a refrigerator, you can see its Energy Star rating. That gives you critical information that you wouldn't otherwise know at that moment. But surgical operations are arranged with no clear written statement of their effectiveness, likelihood of repeat operations, complication rates, alternatives, or patient satisfaction levels, not to mention their price. A one-page statement should report that information before surgery.


I think many people have the same experiences that my family and I have had, where you are presented with options about health care choices, or perhaps not presented with options but told what to do, and you feel vulnerable and unsure about how to make a decision. Shared decision-making would educate patients and their family members, and get doctors to understand patients' concerns and hopes, so that together we can come to the most appropriate treatment decisions. Many people talk about patient empowerment and patient engagement. Please pass this bill to make that a reality.


Read my book's chapter on Choosing Surgery.

No comments: