Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Monday, August 27, 2007

People live, and in the most remarkable ways: Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor

Lance Armstrong on heart:

People die. But there is another truth, too. People live, and in the most remarkable ways. When I was sick, I saw more beauty and triumph and truth in a single day that I ever did in a bike race – but they were human moments, not miraculous ones. I met a guy in a fraying sweatsuit who turned out to be a brilliant surgeon [Dr. Scott Shapiro]. I became friends with a harassed and overscheduled nurse named LaTrice [Haney], who gave me such care that it could only be the result of the deepest sympathetic affinity. I saw children with no eyelashes or eyebrows, their hair burned away by chemo, who fought with the hearts of [five-time winner of the Tour de France Miguel] Indurain.

Advice: Read Lance Armstrong’s book, It’s Not about the Bike: My Journey Back to Life.

Read another athlete cancer survivor story.

No comments: