Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Monday, July 2, 2012

All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly: I was my Mom's PACE Program


Roberta Robinson's story:
I grew up in West Roxbury, Mass., married, had children and relocated to Pelham, New Hampshire.  I was a Paralegal and commuted to Boston for 11 years.

Meanwhile my mother was aging in place, and as her health began to fail her needs began to increase so I managed her home care from 60 miles away, making frequent trips to West Roxbury to make sure everything was going smoothly and that she was getting what she needed.   One day I received an internal message that I should keep myself fluid and that I would be out of wherever I was and into her house. 

And that was exactly what happened.

I found it necessary to move back to West Roxbury, however, not yet into her home as I wanted her to stay as independent as possible.  Then it happened….in one week, we had four emergencies…...the last finding her upside down on the couch with her feet on the back of the couch and her head hanging to the floor. It was then apparent that I needed to take the next step and move in with her.  

She was in her late 80’s and got chilled easily and kept the house like a sauna.  I was in my menopausal state and was melting so I became the cellar dweller.  

At this time, I had a full-time job with City of Boston Commission on the Affairs of the Elderly. My mother was, apparently, in her death process in the West Roxbury area (who knew?  There was no one to guide me through this process) and my daughter was in her marriage process in New Hampshire.  I was so stressed I thought I would pass before my mother did.  It was a slow, subtle process of about 5 years.  Every year she had an incident which brought her to the hospital, rehab and then home.  The first year I was advised by the case manager at the hospital that it was the beginning of the end and so I was on my guard….for four more years.  It was the 5th year that she never made it home.  I called her the Energizer Bunny.

At the end, it was like a switch had been flipped; she was incontinent, and couldn't care for herself. I had to clean up -day and night and then go to work the next day.  I was doing it all.

There's such a burden to caregiving!  No one knows what it's like until they’ve done it themselves.  Kind of like walking a mile in an Indian’s shoes…as the expression goes.

I had aides (certified nursing assistants) to help - I called them my angels.  I cooked for them all, and gave them gold for Christmas. 
 I so appreciated them and couldn’t have done it without them!

My mother had Diabetes.  She was a little Italian Mom.  I'd cook healthy meals, and then she'd add more starch to everything, which, in turn, caused her sugar level to skyrocket.  She wanted to stay home; that was her biggest desire.  She had Macular Degeneration [a type of vision loss], Congestive Heart Failure, Emphysema  [Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary (lung) Disease], Spinal Stenosis [abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal], Osteoporosis [reduced bone mineral density], and Frozen Shoulder [bone]. 

The world of Elder Services is an incredible maze.  I was trying to figure out what was going one with her health, trying to educate myself on services that were available and trying to get the best services for her that I could get.  There was not one person to outline this information for me and I felt like I was in a bumper car, getting bashed around.

Roberta's Advice for seniors in poor health: Coordinate their health care and plug them into life.  Get them connected to a community, whether it's faith-based, at the adult day health center, the housing community, or something else; it doesn't matter which one.   We need each other! 

Isolation is the worst enemy for seniors.  

Roberta Robinson is now the Director for Geriatric Outreach and Marketing for the PACE program (Program for All Inclusive Care for the Elderly), and the Geriatric Division at Cambridge Health Alliance. 
She is a patient advocate in the best sense of the word.

Read a story about a compassionate home care provider, and learn about the PACE program.  Thanks to Roberta for sharing her story.


No comments: