Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Real Men Don't Wear Gowns

Ken's rant:
I like to look silly – once in a great while, at Halloween, and Purim. But even then, I don't cross-dress.

I don't do dresses. And not nightgowns, negligees, chemises, and not even aprons, either.

So, hospital nurse, don't give me a johnny – one of those ridiculous open-to-the-back gowns with a drawstring and little chotchke designs.

There are 5,000 other hospitals in the country, and if you hand me a johnny, I'll haul myself out of your hospital bed and find a hospital that doesn't make me wear one.

Advice to patient advocates: Tell your clients to bring their own bathrobe or favorite pajamas to the hospital.

Read a very different story about a patient’s dignity in the hospital.

1 comment:

Sheryl Kurland, Patient Advocate said...

Some other articles regarding "patient safety" and "protecting the patient" can be found at:

"14 Ways To Prevent Mistakes With Medication"
http://ezinearticles.com/?14-Ways-to-Prevent-Mistakes-With-Medication&id=3657699

"As Health Care Reform Looms – Take Measures For Surgery Safety"
http://ezinearticles.com/?As-Health-Care-Reform-Looms---Take-Measures-For-Surgery-Safety&id=3585111