Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I felt finally that I was alive: Recovery from meth addiction

"Everybody that I knew from the mid-1980s started using meth and I got into using," says Kris Salisbury, now 43. "Somebody brought some meth from California and it just started from there."

She used methamphetamine for 12 years, and her three children "went through my addiction with me." On Dec. 3, 1998, after they heard she was manufacturing meth, members of a drug task force raided her home, removed her children, and placed them with her parents.

A worker at the Department of Human Services asked if she needed help. "I was tired of living that way and I was devastated, and I was living with a man who was really, really abusive. So I went into treatment," she said.

The first Moms Off Meth group in Ottumwa, Iowa started in July 1999, and Kris knew she wanted to be part of the group, made up initially of four members and two facilitators.

She achieved sobriety on Aug. 16, 1999, and participated in the group for several years. "The encouragement of other women saying ‘You can do this’ and 'I believe in you,' and when you’re using you feel like nobody believes in you and everybody treats you like you're worthless and useless, and you get into these groups and other women are saying, 'Way to go!', your life changes and you start believing," she said. She received a college degree and certification as an addiction counselor.

"I knew when I got sober that I wanted to help other people because I felt finally like I was alive and I had a purpose in life," she said.

Kris now facilitates Moms Off Meth groups in the Iowa communities of Ottumwa and Fairfield, and trains other women as group facilitators. She also works for First Resources Corp. as an in-home counselor, helping people in rural areas obtain treatment and support services.

Advice: Help others overcome the problem you overcame, like Kris.

Thanks to Brion McAlarney for the source article in the May/June issue of Addiction Professional.

No comments: