Have a Story to Tell? Had a medical error?

This blog is about patient safety, medical malpractice, staying healthy, and preventing future errors. Help & empower someone else, Teach a lesson, Bear witness, Build our community - Email us or call 781-444-5525.

Frustrated with a health problem?

Need an ally in your health crisis? Call 781-444-5525, or learn more.

Monday, July 9, 2007

I did not want to scare her: Misdiagnosis, medication errors, and patient privacy

Susan Stern’s story:
Two years ago, I drove myself to a hospital Emergency Room with only moderate pain in my right and left shoulder. Since I am over 70, I was immediately given nitroglycerine, and the dose was repeated three times during my Emergency Room stay.

I was brought two more times to the E.R., each time with more severe pains. I was then correctly diagnosed with pericarditis. The last hospital wanted to admit me, but I signed myself out against doctor’s advice.

When my daughter called at my request, the doctor told her I might die unless I stayed at the hospital. I needed my daughter’s involvement, since I could not drive myself to see my doctor, but I did not want to scare her, as she was the mother of a toddler and pregnant with her second child.

I told my doctor that I did not want anyone telling my family that I might die. I was told that my only choice was to prohibit the doctor from giving any information to my family or having no control whatever over what was said.

I am now enjoying excellent health. I put a letter in my file instructing the doctor to share all dire warnings only with me.

Details of a person’s illness should be kept private from kin if the patient is conscious and does not want certain details revealed.

Advice: Write a letter about your preferences and have your doctor put it in your medical record.

Read one of our patient privacy stories.

Source: Susan’s letter to the Editor appeared in the July 9 New York Times.

No comments: